May 23, 2018 | ImpactAlpha: Entrepreneurs and investors mobilize to tackle challenges of refugees, migrants and modern-day slaves
May 18, 2018 | Thomson Reuters Foundation: California executives mentor businesses helping migrants and slaves
Miller Center delivers world-class accelerator programs that connect global social enterprise leaders with Silicon Valley business executives to develop more sustainable, scalable market-based solutions to the problems of those living in poverty around the world.
In May 2018, we launched a 6-month accelerator program for social enterprises that serve or are led by migrants, refugees, and human trafficking survivors. The program will culminate in October 2018 with a Showcase in the Bay Area, timed so that program participants can meet with the social impact community at SOCAP18.
For more program details, continue to scroll down the page.
INTRODUCING THE GSBI SOCIAL ENTREPRENEURSHIP AT THE MARGINS COHORT
Read the press release to learn more about each enterprise, or click on a thumbnail image below to link directly.
Key Dates: SOCIAL ENTREPRENEURSHIP AT THE MARGINS
- May 15, 2018 | GSBI Online accelerator program commences
- October 19 – October 23, 2018 | In-residence in Silicon Valley
- October 23, 2018 | Showcase in San Francisco Bay Area
- November 2018 | GSBI Online accelerator program completion
Impact investors interested in social enterprises serving refugees, migrants, and human trafficking survivors are invited to contact Miller Center’s Director of Impact Investing, Mark Correnti at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Foundations or individuals wishing to support this program, contact Miller Center’s Director of Advancement, Dave Harrison at at email@example.com.
GSBI programs offer many benefits to selected social entrepreneurs, including:
PROVEN PROGRAM. Experience Miller Center’s structured, validated curriculum that has helped over 800 social enterprises attain operational excellence and prepare for investment.
MENTORS. You will be accompanied by Silicon Valley mentors with expertise in innovation and entrepreneurship who are your trusted advisors
SHOWCASE. An opportunity to present your plan for scaling at Social Entrepreneurship at the Margins Showcase in San Francisco.
NO CHARGE. All Miller Center GSBI accelerator programs are offered at no charge to selected social enterprises.
We seek applicants who:
- Lead an existing for-profit, nonprofit, or hybrid social enterprise (not microenterprise), in operation for one or more years.
- Deliver products or services to undocumented migrants, refugees, or human trafficking survivors, OR provide infrastructure to address challenges facing these vulnerable populations, OR are led by migrants or refugees.
- Are willing to commit 3-6 hours per week to complete program deliverables and work with your mentors online.
Social Entrepreneurship at the Margins IS SUPPORTED BY
Banner photo courtesy of Yellow Leaf Hammocks. Thumbnail image for Zero Trafficking LLC licensed under Creative Commons Zero (CC0). Unless otherwise indicated, all other photos are courtesy of corresponding social enterprise.