WHAT: 2016 Investor Showcase, Miller Center for Social Entrepreneurship’s Global Social Benefit Institute (GSBI®) Accelerator program.
WHO: 14 social entrepreneurs, addressing climate change and the status of poor women in Latin America, Africa, Asia, India, and North America. They are working to solve problems ranging from impure water and unemployed youth to farming droughts and life-threatening childbirth.
- 63 Silicon Valley executive mentors
- 300 impact investors, including business experts and philanthropists
WHY: Entrepreneurs seek investments to grow their successful, social benefit startups. The social enterprises and the countries they represent include:
- Egypt, Alashanek ya Balady Association for Sustainable Development
- Rwanda, Uganda, Burundi, Kenya, All Across Africa
- India, Bangladesh, China, Mexico, Brazil, Ethiopia, Awaaz.De
- Mexico, Cántaro Azul
- India, Kenya, Bangladesh, CareNx
- Africa, Asia, Latin America, engageSPARK
- Ghana, Sierra Leone, Cameroon, Malawi, Nigeria, Farmerline
- Myanmar, Koe Koe Tech
- Kenya, Livelyhoods
- India, USA, Noora Health
- Uganda, Kenya, Burundi, Rwanda, Tanzania, NUCAFE
- India, Pollinate Energy
- Panama, Nicaragua, Solubrite
- Kenya, Vava Coffee
WHEN: Thursday, Aug. 18, 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., followed by lunch.
WHERE: Santa Clara University (SCU) Recital Hall, 400 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, CA 95053
- 9:30 a.m.: Registration
- 10:00 a.m.: Welcome remarks from Thane Kreiner, Ph.D., executive director, Miller Center for Social Entrepreneurship
- 10:25 a.m.: Social benefit business pitches (6 minutes each)
- 12:30 p.m.: Lunch and networking
REGISTER: email@example.com or (408) 832-0147 for media only
DETAILS: GSBI Accelerator website
NEWS LINK: http://bit.ly/2aUOViA
B-ROLL: Available on YouTube at the Miller Center for Social Entrepreneurship channel
STREAM: Event will be livestreamed at www.scu.edu/investorshowcase
- Pat Haines, Miller Center for Social Entrepreneurship, firstname.lastname@example.org, 408-551-7118
- Colleen Martell, Martell Communications for Miller Center, email@example.com, 408-832-0147
SPONSOR: Miller Center for Social Entrepreneurship is one of three Centers of Distinction at Santa Clara University. Miller Center accelerates global, innovation-based entrepreneurship in service to humanity.
BACKSTORY: The Investor Showcase is the mid-term milestone of a 10-month program between Silicon Valley executive mentors and social entrepreneurs enrolled in the GSBI Accelerator program.