Let Us Help You Grow Your Social Enterprise
We'll Pave the Way for Sustainable Growth
We developed GSBI Online in partnership with the World Bank Development Marketplace. Today, GSBI Online continues to strengthen social enterprises through proven curriculum and Silicon Valley executive mentorship.
Through weekly calls over the course of 6 months, you will work alongside your dedicated mentor to chart a course for growth and present your business in the most compelling way.
By the end of the program, you will have
- Developed a strategy for growing the enterprise
- Know which operational and social impact metrics count for you
- Polished a slide deck for investor presentations
- Created a two-page investment summary document
- Incorporated constructive feedback from a panel of Silicon Valley business leaders into your 12-minute pitch
Upon completion of the program, you will receive a certificate of completion and a copy of your published investment profile. You will be added to the Miller Center GSBI Alumni network of over 570 social entrepreneurs around the world.
Social Entrepreneurs in the GSBI Online Program
Acacias for All, Tunisia
Acacias for All is revolutionizing the agricultural system in Tunisia and the Maghreb area by introducing a new holistic approach with crops adapted to the climate context and agro-ecology techniques to restore soils and provide self-sufficient food while preserving water resources.
- 300 farmers
- 1500 people in rural areas of Tunisia.
Aqaya is working in the next billion domain to build platforms that enable financial and technological inclusion.
- 400 agents use Aqaya's android mobil app to serve 400,000 accounts at a partner bank which has enabled commerce for 250+ marginalized, low-income artisans.
Best of the Bump, India
Best of the Bump's mission is to transform how the woman's reproductive health segment is organized, connected, delivered and experienced in a way that India has not witnessed. They provide healthcare solutions, products and services suitable to women through all important phases of life.
- 30,000 women have been impacted through Best of the Bump's innovative MHM & Maternal solutions.
CYD Financing Solutions is a micro financing project of the NGO Centre for Youth and Development (CYD) in Malawi. The project was conceived out of a Maternal and Child health Project aimed at reducing maternal and child mortality rates in Mzimba North.
- CYD Financing has provided 110 loans to 110 small holder farmers who are supporting an estimated 10,000 lives.
- Hosted 6 trainings with an estimated impact of 110 smallholder farmers.
Dev Nrgee Resource, New Delhi, India
Dev Nrgee Resource brings together technical innovation, renewable energy, and social business models to improve rural livelihood options. Innovations include solar-powered silk production machines, handlooms, and micro-spinning machines. These combined with financial and business interventions enable the rural poor to earn a healthy living.
- About 6,000 people have directly received employment using Dev Nrgee's products.
Jaan Pakistan, Pakistan
Khizr Imran Tajammul
Jaan Pakistan is an award winning social startup based in Lahore. Jaan Pakistan researchs and develops affordable energy solutions for off-grid communities across the country. Their current focus is on the development and distribution of a variety of clean cook stoves.
- Jaan Pakistan is still in its pilot stage.
Mangaal Sustainable Solutions, India
Mangaal Sustainable Solutions Pvt. Ltd. is a social enterprise promoting sustainable energy solutions in Manipur, India. Mangaal has set for itself the mission of "sustainable energy products and services available, accessible and affordable to all" - especially the underserved populations living in remote areas with very unreliable power supply and those who continue to be off-the-grid.
- 4900 households impacted by Mangaal. (This is the number of solar home systems and solar portable maps sold by our organization to date).
Monrovia Football Academy is the first school in Liberia to combine formal education with professional soccer coaching. They address two of Liberia’s most pressing issues – a failing education system and gender inequality. MFA's approach is unique: use soccer as a positive incentive mechanism to break down gender barriers and improve academic performance.
- In this inaugural year, MFA had 27 students and 9 staff members who were directly impacted by their operations.
- In 2017, MFA will expand to 60 students and 11 staff members.
- MFA has indirectly impacted the families of their students and staff. As the average MFA family has 6 people, they have indirectly impacted (improved reading levels, better attitudes, more willing to learn, meals and water) 216 individuals in their first year.
It's one rolling application for all GSBI Programs. Contact us for any questions.
GSBI Online Investment Profiles
Read the investment profiles of our latest GSBI Online cohort.
- For-profit, non-profit, or hybrid enterprises
- Social impact mission
- Post launch with functioning product or service
- Earned income model
What You Gain
- Silicon Valley mentorship
- Compelling pitch
- Annual operation plan
- Sound business model
- Operational and social impact metrics
- Effective fundraising strategy
- A slide deck for investor presentations
- 2-page investment summary document
- Valuable connections
What You Will Learn
- Refine your social impact model
- Identify your target market and value proposition
- Establish partnerships
- Build a financial model
- Streamline operations
- Gain financing tools and skills
Piconergy is a social enterprise who's mission is to provide clean, affordable and reliable energy to all through innovation in technology, consumer finance, and distribution methods.
- Piconery has impacted over 250 people in urban and rural India, providing them with clean electricity access and eliminating their dependency on expensive, inefficient and unsafe kerosene/candles for lighting.
Solageo, Hong Kong
Joseph S. Fernandez
Solageo empowers financially sustainable, small, and growing solar energy businesses to scale and maximize social, health, environmental and economic impact within their underserved communities.
- Approximately 400,000 lives and counting have been impacted.
- Solageo has had 80,000 product shipments impacting a similar number of households (assuming 5 persons per household).
Solar Smart Africa, Ethiopia & USA
Solar Smart Africa provides high quality solar lamps that can charge mobile phones, making remote households self-sufficient.
- 800 units sold so far.
- With an average household of 5 people, approximately 4000 people are positively impacted.
Sosai Renewable Energies Company, Nigeria
Sosai Renewable Energies offers renewable energy products that promote a better livelihood to communities and improve the economic status of people while providing much needed energy for sustainable development.
- 250,000 lives
Tembo educates 0-6 year old children in slums around the world via mobile phones. Their solution uses a high-quality, evidence-based curriculum to train and certify home educators to teach parents via SMS text messages.
- 60 children, (save the Children is now assessing the children’s progress pre and post trimester)
TPMocs is a footwear brand that specializes in authentic Native American made children’s moccasins with a commitment to providing employment opportunities to Native American artisans. Additionally, a portion of its profits goes towards purchasing necessities for underprivileged children living on impoverished reservation areas. TPmocs is founded on the principle to take meaningful action to address poverty in Native American communities.
- 20 - TPMocs is currently working with 1 artisan and training another.
- They have provided diapers, wipes and clothing for children ages 0-2 to the Blackfeet Early Childhood Center (Browning, MT Blackfeet Indian Reservation).
UFC provides Medical Diagnosis Camps that perform medical tests in slums and small towns for people who are living below the poverty line. Specifically they give diagnosis of Hepatitis B, C, thyroid and hospital referrals.
- UCF has impacted more than 2500 (in 3 years) lives with its nonprofit leg and impacted more than 10,000 lives (in 1.5 years) with its for-profit leg.